The following is extracted from Douglas Allports book published in 1841.
DESTRUCTION OF THE CHURCH...
On the night of Sunday the 7th of February, 1841, a fire broke out in the church, by which it was completely destroyed.
It appears to have burst forth in the neighbourhood of the organ-loft, and to have first excited the notice of the policeman on duty, who instantly communicating with his superiors, the necessary measures were promptly put in execution. The Rev. the Vicar was immediately on the spot, and succeeded, at considerable risk, in rescuing the books and documents deposited in that edifice.
The venerable structure was soon completely enveloped in the flames; and from the time that elapsed before any effectual measures could be taken to suppress their ravages, it became evident, that nothing of consequence could be saved.
The destruction was mounfully complete. The turret, even, fell a prey to the devouring element, and the bells were so melted, that when washed from, the ashes, the metal was found in granulated fragments, scarcely larger than peas. The brasses were saved; but the mural monuments, with the exception of the figure of Lady Hunt, fell from their places, and were entirely consumed, or rendered so friable, by the action of the fire, as to be reduced to powder on the slightest touch. The magnificent chancel window, with the exception of three cherubs' heads in the upper lights; and, in fact, all the stained glass in the church was melted, and ran together into nearly colourless masses. All the fittings up and fixtures, including the organ, the pulpit, reading-desk, and clerk's desk, were reduced to one blackened mass; and the roof falling in, nothing but the bare and scorched walls remained when day broke upon the melancholy spectacle. The hands of the clock stood at half-past eleven, indicating the time at which the fire reached that part of the building.
The annexed engraving (Plate VIII.) will convey a sufficiently correct idea of the appearance presented by this interesting structure after the fire. The view was taken from the south- west, near the gate leading to the 'Grove', expressly for this work.